Wednesday, December 15, 2021

The First Inevitable Ceremony

Earlier this month, the Veterans' Committee elected six new Hall of Famers, five of whom I advocated for previously on this blog. They are - 

Tony Oliva 

Jim Kaat 

Minnie Minoso 

Gil Hodges 

Buck O'Neil 

Bud Fowler 

I advocated for the first five. 

Oliva was an outfielder from 1962 through 1976 for the Twins who won three Batting Titles and had a career batting average of .304. 

Kaat pitched from 1959 through 1983, primarily with the Twins and White Sox, and won 283 games. He is also a famous broadcaster. 

Minoso was an outfielder from 1949 through 1964 in the Majors, with three years in the Negro Leagues from 1946-1948 and two publicity stunts in 1976 and 1980. He batted .299 lifetime and won three Gold Glove awards. 

One of the most debated Hall of Fame candidates ever, Hodges played first base and caught from 1943 through 1963, mostly for the Brooklyn "Boys of Summer", and finished with 370 home runs and three Gold Gloves. He also managed the 1969 Miracle Mets. 

Buck O'Neil and Bud Fowler made it as pioneers of the Negro Leagues. 

I knew that I would eventually have to write this post, but a few things surprised me. (1), six men were inducted at once. This is one of the highest totals in any one year in history. (2), I never thought that I'd write this post so soon. I thought that it was at least a few years away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Requiescat In Pace, Whitey Herzog