Tuesday, May 17, 2022

Managers of Today

    Nowadays there are a lot of managers who will probably make the Hall of Fame. Joe Maddon, Dusty Baker, etc., etc. This post is not to give my opinion on individual, active managers. My question concerns considering them as a whole. 
    My biggest problem with modern day managing is the shift. Oh boy, the shift. Besides the fact that it is not traditional, not to mention very ugly, I don't think that it actually works as well as people think. How many times do hitters go the other way on the shift, or bunt against the shift? More importantly, how many hitters can bunt against the shift? Probably a whole lot. Additionally, cutoffs, double plays, and other complex plays are greatly neutralized by the shift, and are impossible to set up. Finally, an increasing percentage of today's hits fly out of the park for home runs, against which the shift is utterly helpless. 
    Nowadays every manager uses the shift, and for most hitters, too. You rarely see a straight up defensive alignment anymore. Everyone already knows my opinion about this, I'm sure. For this reason, I don't know if we can induct all these managers. What do you think? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Requiescat In Pace, Whitey Herzog