Thursday, August 3, 2023

Second Round Of Cuts

In September 2021, I published a post (https://thecooperstownadvocate.blogspot.com/2021/09/i-take-it-back.html) rescinding my arguments for some players I had written about on this blog. As I got a clearer understanding of what the Hall of Fame is and what it takes to earn a plaque, I have decided not to publish certain players in my book. Some more players who have appeared on the blog but will not (as of now) be advocated for in the book: 

Dave Foutz 

Mike (Elmer) Smith 

Mel Parnell 

Duke Farrell 

Jim Gilliam 

George Gore 

Pete Browning 

Mike Griffin 

Charlie Buffinton 

Guy Hecker 

Hardy Richardson 

Cupid Childs 

Bob Caruthers 

Tip O'Neill 

Vern Stephens 

Ed McKean 

John Franco 

Frank Howard 

Robb Nen 

Allie Reynolds 

Al Rosen 

Bobby Mathews 

Ted Kluszewski 

Dick Groat 

Hal Trosky 

Charlie Keller 

John Wetteland 

Spud Davis 

Roger Peckinpaugh 

Fred Dunlap 

Herman Long 

Ginger Beaumont 

Glenn Wright 

Rudy York 

Mort Cooper 

Walker Cooper 

A.J. Pierzynski 

Bob Boone 

Jack Taylor 

Bobby Thomson 

Roger Maris 

Many of these guys are 19th century players who had impressive statistics, but compiled them mostly in inferior leagues, like the AA, NA, or UA. All the players on this list were good - some were very good - but probably not Hall of Famers. This isn't the end of the line for these players, however: I am constantly revising the players on my list, looking for the very best outside of Cooperstown. Let me know if you think I should include one of these guys in my book. 

1 comment:

  1. I think Keller and Vern Stephens are worth including, in my opinion.

    Keller obviously isn't a hall of famer because his career was so shortened by injuries - but his sheer mastery at the plate (152 career OPS+) deserves at least discussion.

    ReplyDelete

Requiescat In Pace, Whitey Herzog