Tuesday, January 23, 2024

2024 Hall Of Fame Ballot Results

The BBWAA's annual Hall of Fame voting results are in. 

Adrian Beltre - 95.1% of the vote 

Todd Helton - 79.7% 

Joe Mauer - 76.1% 

Billy Wagner - 73.8% 

Gary Sheffield - 63.9% 

Andruw Jones - 61.6% 

Carlos Beltran - 57.1% 

Alex Rodriguez - 34.8% 

Manny Ramirez - 32.5% 

Chase Utley - 28.8% 

Omar Vizquel - 17.7% 

Bobby Abreu and Jimmy Rollins - 14.8% 

Andy Pettitte - 13.5% 

Mark Buehrle - 8.3% 

Francisco Rodriguez - 7.8% 

Torii Hunter - 7.3% 

David Wright - 6.2% 

Dropoffs From Future Ballots 

Jose Bautista and Victor Martinez - 1.6% 

Bartolo Colon - 1.3% 

Matt Holliday - 1.0% 

Adrian Gonzalez - 0.8% 

Brandon Phillips - 0.3% 

Jose Reyes and James Shields - both squat 


Everybody saw Beltre's first ballot induction coming. The owner of 3,166 hits, 477 home runs, and five Gold Gloves, he is undoubtedly one of the greatest third basemen of all time. 

I knew that Helton was going to get in this year. As I have mentioned before, I have some reservations about his case, but I don't want to spoil his big day by going through them again. 

I am glad that Mauer got in. I was a little nervous that the voters would punish him for his five year stint as a first baseman, but as it stands he is one of the greatest catchers of all time and a first ballot Hall of Famer. 

Due to the shortened 10 year window that players have on the ballot, Gary Sheffield has fallen off with 63.9% of the vote. If the 15 year standard were still in place, he'd have a good chance to get in, but instead he is on the outside looking in. One can only hope that a Contemporary Era committee will vote him in. 

After his 5.7% jump from last year (as opposed to a 17.1% leap the year before), I am biting my nails about Wagner, who sits on 73.8% heading into his final ballot. Unquestionably one of the finest closers in history, his record includes 422 saves, a 2.31 ERA, and 1,196 strikeouts, better than most enshrined closers. I hope he makes it next year. 

Obviously, I am a little annoyed with Beltran's 10.6% increase, but I saw it coming. While I would never vote him into Cooperstown after his involvement in the Astros' cheating scandal, it seems like most of the voters disagree with me. 

Since the release of this ballot, I've had a change of mind about several players on it. After years of clamoring for Omar Vizquel's induction, I think it might be time to throw in the towel - he keeps slipping in the voting, and on reviewing his numbers I guess I could go either way on him. Likewise, I don't see a need to vote for Jimmy Rollins or David Wright, who I previously expressed a little bit of interest in. On the other hand, Andruw Jones is starting to grow on me - despite a brutal decline after age 30, I'm beginning to like his peak. He hit 434 homers and could conceivably challenge Willie Mays as the best defensive centerfielder in history. Sounds like a Hall of Famer to me. Utley's 28.8% debut is a good sign, and I hope this underrated star can keep climbing and eventually get his plaque. Near the bottom of the ballot languishes Bobby Abreu, a legitimate Hall of Fame candidate who just doesn't pass the "feel test" for the majority of voters. While he rarely led his league in major offensive categories, he was always among the league leaders in offense, and he accrued much of his value through less flashy means, such as doubles and walks. I hope the voters realize his true talent and start checking his name. I am also a little discouraged by K-Rod's 3% drop from last year - another elite closer with even more saves than Wagner (437), he needs to start moving in the other direction. Finally, Torii Hunter continues to linger near the bottom of the ballot. A very talented player, I would love to see him in Cooperstown, but I'd be fine if he didn't make it. 7.3% just doesn't seem like an accurate representation of his career. 

Congratulations to the Hall's three new inductees, who will be officially inducted along with Jim Leyland on July 21. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm very happy and unsurprised to see Beltre get in - mildly pleased about the elections of Helton & Mauer. I too hope Wagner can make it next year.

    ReplyDelete

Requiescat In Pace, Whitey Herzog